A very successful traction engine rally held in Gore in 1959 was the catalyst for the formation of the Southland Steam Engine Club, with the inaugural meeting held in 1959.
The Club is now an incorporated society and has objects of:
- To encourage and promote the preservation of steam engines, associated equipment and their history.
- To promote the steam engine cause and encourage new members by holding club meetings, social events and outings, field days and rallies.
- To co-operate with and assist other organisations in promoting the vintage cause and generate fellowship among members.
- To raise funds by contributions, donations, subscriptions or by any other suitable means to further the interests and objects of the club.
- To retain in the Club’s area, where possible, all items of interest or historic value pertaining to steam or associated equipment.